Merry Christmas Layout with Process Video

Hi!

A few days ago I cut the Merry Christmas title from Miss Kate Cuttables. This is one of her latest cut files and I love they include the backing. I chose to cut the backing in one of my all time favorite Christmas paper designs, red with white polka dots. Having the backing file was a great advantage because this way I spend less time making the title. However, I left everything on the side, because it was weekend and we did some shopping, cleaning, and had some family time at home watching TV, playing and talking. Anyway, back to the layout! Yesterday, while homeschooling my toddler, I started designing this layout and recorded the process, so you can see the video at the end of this post.

The patterned papers and die cuts used in this layout are from Miss Kate Designs Deck the Halls. This papers have beautiful bright colors, perfect for all Christmas projects! For this layout I stayed with the traditional Christmas colors, but the collection includes other beautiful colors like black and blue. You can see the collection in this video I prepared some time ago.


A few years ago, I decided to buy a new Christmas ornament every year, and this year, while in Facebook I saw an advertisement for this 2020 Family ornament with the people wearing face masks, a bottle of hand sanitizer and a toilet paper roll were also part of the design, and I had to buy it. I don't have the name or website of the store, I just received an email receipt for the payment, without details of the seller, just that it was through Facebook. A month later, I received it, I was scared it would never come. I love how cute this ornament is, perfect for this year that has been so different and difficult for everybody around the world, and we are no exception. We live in Puerto Rico and here we have a lot of government restrictions to try to contain the Covid-19, but sadly it continues spreading rapidly. 

In this layout, I wanted to highlight the photo, and even though it is going to be a different Christmas, it is still merry because we are healthy and together, and this is what really matters. I used four different patterned papers from the collection in the top part of the layout. From top to bottom the stripes measured 2", 1" and 1/2" wide all by 12" long. For the big scallops border I used an old Sizzix die I have, but you can use a digital cut file, use circles, or cut them by hand.

Before adding the papers, I created the background using Shimmerz Key Lime and Pine for You paints on top of a white cardstock prepared with clear gesso. You can see in the video how I mixed the paints and added them to the cardstock using an acrylic block and a brush. Once the paint was dried I added the papers. 

The photo was matted using cardstock, the snowflakes patterned paper and silver vellum. I distressed the edges of the paper to add texture to the layout and machine stitched around the photo and around the layout. Then, I added a piece of white thread to the photo and made a bow. Once it was ready, I added it to the layout using foam adhesive in three sides, leaving the top clear to use the photo as a pocket for the tag with the journaling.

The title was added using liquid adhesive as well as the banners and little tag in the bottom left. In the end, I added a few die cuts to the layout using foam adhesive in many of them to add dimension to the page. I only added a few die cuts because the layout was already busy with all the papers, the photo and the big title.

You can see the process video of the layout here. Remember to subscribe to my channel and if you enjoy this video, don't forget to like it! 


I hope you enjoy this layout and it inspires you to craft. Stay safe and come back soon for more Christmas projects!



No comments