Happy Summer Days Layout

 Hello friends! I'm very happy to share a fun and colorful layout with you today. I made this layout using Simple Stories Retro Summer collection which matches perfectly with these photos of my daughter playing in the pool. This layout has lots of details to give it this summery look. Now, let's talk about how I made this page and if you want to watch me creating it, don't miss the process video at the end of this post.

I started this layout inspired by the photos of my daughter and had an idea in my mind to use the stencil, but later I changed it to what you see in the final version. The sizes of the photos are 2 1/2" x 2 1/2", and I matted them in patterned papers from the 6" x 8" pad and with the Retro Signs Bits and Pieces. Those cards added a special touch to the photos with the brown border around them, making the photos stand out. For additional texture, I distressed the edges of all the cards and papers.


For the background I used a white cardstock to help balance this colorful layout. On the right side, I used patterned papers from the 12" x 12" kit and a strip of the brown washi tape from this collection. Then, I tore the left edges of the blue and confetti papers and distressed them. For the title, I made a tag using a piece of patterned paper and punched a reinforcement using a darker pink piece of paper, the same I used to mat the middle photo. Then, I added a bow using yellow twine. The title is a mix of foam stickers and chipboard. I embellished it by creating a cluster on the top using die cuts, stickers enamel dots, and brads, all from Retro Summer collection. The journaling was printed on a tag from the cut apart tag paper and added below the title with a few die cuts and stickers to finish the look. 


Initially, I used the stencil to create a sunburst background but instead of having it come out of the title, I made it going from the confetti paper towards the left. I was not pleased with the look and the color I used, so I cut a piece of white cardstock to cover the area. The ink used was Honey Butter from Close To My Heart.


On the right side of the washi tape, I added a zig zag stitched border using white thread. To balance the layout, I made two more clusters on the right sides of the top and bottom photos. I used stickers and die cuts to make them and added foam tape behind some to add dimension and interest to them.


Aren't those embellishments the cutest? They are so detailed and pretty, I love using them to enhance the layout!



This layout took me more time than I usually spend in a page, because I was struggling with the initial look of the sunburst, so I left the page and returned the next day with the idea of changing the direction and color. After that, everything ran smoothly. If you want to see how I made this layout, check the process video here:


Here is another look at the layout, I really love how happy and fun it looks!


Thanks for your visit and for staying with me during this post. I hope you like and enjoy this layout as much as I do, and it inspires you to craft!



No comments