You Sparkle Layout

 Hi!

Has it happened to you that you have a collection that you like but it was designed for a theme that you don't have photos for or maybe don't want to scrapbook about at the moment? Well, this is what happened to me. As part of Miss Kate Designs I received the beautiful Cold Days collection but sadly I don't have photos related to snow since we live in a Caribbean Island and haven't travel to any place with snow yet, hopefully one day we will. But I was determined to use it because I love the colors in it, and that is how I started this layout. Check all the photos and the process video at the end.



The collection has many snow related designs, but also has many neutral designs which are perfect for girly layouts. I choose two recent photos of my daughter and since she was using jean fabric, it was easy to work with any color scheme. I chose four patterned papers from the collection for my base, but did some mixed media before adding them.

I prepared the white cardstock with clear gesso and let it dry. Then, I used a stencil by Vicki Boutin and white modeling paste to create texture in the corners of the photos. Once the paste was dry, I added color using Shimmer's Refresh Mint, Pink, Great Fruit, and Coal for the splatters. 
When the mixed media on the background was dry, I added the papers to the layout. To give the papers more texture, I distressed the edges a little bit. 

To embellish the layout and to create a cluster, I cut flowers and green vines from the papers using some Sizzix dies. I layered the flowers to make them look prettier and more interesting. Then, I added pearls to the center of the flowers and in the mixed media area too. The final touch were the little butterflies cut from the papers using another Sizzix die. 

The gray vines were cut from cardstock. I love how beautiful the flowers turned out, the photos don't do them justice, but the weather this week was not helping. Sorry for that! Don't forget to check the process video, there you can see how I made them and you can appreciate the colors better.
Having those flowers in the layout changed the winter theme of the papers completely and added so much texture and dimension to the page, I had fun making them and using those that I had in my stash for a few month without using them. 
Check here the quick process video I made for this layout. You can see how this layout was created and maybe you can learn something new or just get inspire to craft! Please, press the like button if you enjoy it and subscribe to my channel.


Have a wonderful week, I'll do my best to be back this week with a card I had in mind for Valentine's Day!










2 comments

  1. So beautiful as always, Rebeca! Always such attention to detail. I don't do any mixed media work at the moment but after looking at your designs I'm inspired to give it a go! What is the tool you use to make the edge of the papers distressed?
    Erin :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin! Thank you so much for your kind words, I'm glad you like this layout and it inspires you, this makes me so happy! The tool I use is an edge scrapper, mine was made by Memory Makers, an old company that no longer exist but I think there is another company doing a similar one. You can also search for paper edge distresser. Have a great day!

      Delete