My Little Sassy & Sweet Girl Layout

Hi!

Last week I mentioned I started a class with Allison Davis for Scrapbook Generation about creating layouts using 6" x 6" papers pads. This is my layout for week 2. I can't share the class sketch with you because it is part of a paid class, but I can share my interpretation of it. For this layout, I used a paper pad from Echo Park Paper named Jim and Jill. It's an old collection from a few years ago. I decided to use it because it is still beautiful and works perfectly with the photos of my daughter dressed as Little Red Ridding Hood that I already had printed.


I followed the sketch to a T, only making a few changes. Instead of using a cardstock as the base, I used a wood grain patterned paper in the background from the same collection. Since I didn't have a full 12" x 12" sheet of the paper, I used a cardstock as the base, then added the pieces of wood grain paper on top. This gives the appearance that the base of the layout was the wood grain paper.

Once the base was ready, I added two pieces of red 6" x 6" patterned paper trying to match them as best as possible to cover the union of the papers in the middle of the layout. The original sketch called for two different sheets of papers but I decided to use the same and maintain the layout more balanced since the photos were already busy and I want them to be seen in the layout. 

After that, I cut four stripes of 1/4" x 6" pieces of pink patterned paper to create a border at each side of the red papers. I did this to separate the color and enhance the patterned papers. This was not part of the sketch but I love adding papers and how they look together. Then, I punched a white lace paper using a Martha Stewart punch and added it to the left side of the layout. 

All the photos were matted using white cardstock and the ones in the center of the layout were also matted using a pink paper from the 6" x 6" pad. To embellish the layout, I fussy cut flowers from one of the papers in the pad and added some of them using foam adhesive. For the title, I fussy cut a card from one of the 12" x 12" papers in the collection, then added stickers from the collection and American Crafts Thickers. Using all those elements adds interest, texture, and makes the title prettier. The journaling of the layout was printed in vellum to make it readable and elegant.

In the end, I machine stitched a border around the red papers using white thread. Then, I added a few Nuvo Drops in Cloud 9, Sherbet Shimmer and Ruby Slippers. I hope you enjoy this layout and are inspired by it. I had a lot of fun making it and I'm pretty happy to be using all those paper pads I have in my stash. If you haven't tried the 6" x 6" and other sketches classes by Allison Davis I invite you to do so, they are affordable and full of ideas!



No comments