Unicorn Fashionista Layout and Shaker Video Tutorial

Hi!

It's been a few weeks since my last post, hope you're doing great!  I've been busy at home all summer, this is the reason I haven't done much scrapbook.  Today I'm back with a layout I made for my baby girl.  I started it a few weeks ago, with the title, doing the shaker and chain stitching, for which I prepared a video tutorial and my teen daughter edited it.  You can find the video at the end of this post.



The inspiration for this layout came from some glitters my sister gifted me, they are from Target and are beautiful.  I used two of them in this layout, they have chunk glitter and one of them also has unicorns.  Since my daughter loves to play pretend and to dress up, I usually take photos of her, because she looks so cute I can't resist, and these photos are from a day she dressed up with all unicorn, from head to toes.


This layout took me some time. First I used my Silhouette Cameo 3 to cut the "unicorn" word, then I covered the white cardstock with clear gesso to prepare it for the mixed media.  Once it was dried, I added a piece of transparency behind the "unicorn" word and poke holes around the word using a paper piercer, then did chain stitching around it.  After finishing with the stitching, I used foam adhesive in the back of the layout to border the shaker area and added the glitter. Finally, I covered it with a piece of paper from the Imagine That! collection by Echo Park Paper.  You can see all this process in the video at the end of this post.


The unicorn cut file is from Lori Whitlock in the Silhouette Store, I used Bazzill cardstock to cut it and a piece of Doodlebug sugar coated cardstock (glitter) for the unicorn's horn.   But before I added it to the layout, I created the background using some Shimmerz paints in Cotton Candy, Ride the Tide, Precious Posey and Meet Me @ Sunset.  I also used the Shimmerz Dazzlers Puttin' On the Glitz paste with a hint of Cotton Candy to create the pink hearts texture using a stencil from Paige Evans.  This paste is amazing, you can see and feel the glitter, but it is not so thick, so it looks very delicate.


When all the mixed media was dried, I reduced the white cardstock to 11 1/2" by 11 1/2" and used the pink polka dot paper as the base of the layout, added two pieces of the plaid paper and machine stitched around the border of the layout.  Then I added the cut file using liquid adhesive.


Since the layout  was already busy with the shaker and the cut file, I decided to only add a few embellishments.  I backed the photos with a piece of pink paper and the same rainbows paper I used in the shaker.  Then, I added the washi rainbow from Park Lane. I backed it with white cardstock to make it look like a die cut, and adhered it with foam for dimension.  I used a pink chipboard alphabet from Basic Grey I had in my stash for a few years to create the Fashionista part of the title, the other two pieces of chipboard are from the Imagine That! collection by Echo Park Paper.  Another oldie I used in this layout are the rub-on words in the photos, they are from Basic Grey too.  At the end I added some glitter drops using Nubo Silver Crystals and the journaling using a Zig Memory black pen.  The date stamp is from American Crafts and the black ink from Tsukineko.


If you want to see the tutorial for the shaker title, you can find it here:




If you prefer a Spanish version, you can find it here:



Thanks for your visit, I hope my work inspires you to create!

Until soon,


No comments