Sweet 15 Layout

Hi!

Hope you are having a great day! I'm very happy to share with you a special layout I made.  As mentioned in a previous post, for us (latinos), it is very special to celebrate our daughter's 15 birthday. It represents the transition from childhood to adulthood. But since we are in quarantine, we celebrated it at home together and only the front neighbors, my mom and stepdad joined us. The celebration was in the garage/outside, everybody at a distance, to sing her "Happy Birthday". Some friends and family  joined us virtually. Although it was a very simple and quick celebration, she enjoyed it a lot. It was a surprise, she didn't know about the decoration, candy bar, and the "serenata", but she loved everything and her face showed it! We were very happy for that. And today, I'm sharing this double spread layout to showcase some photos of that day.




It's been a long time since I made a double spread, but the Scrapbook and Cards Magazine made a challenge during the Internation Scrapbook Day on May 2, to create a layout using a Page Maps sketch available in the Spring issue of the magazine on page 30. I decided to complete the challenge and this is how this page was made.

To create the layout, I used an old Photoplay collection named Paper Crane. I had it in my stash for a long time waiting for some photos. My daughter loves the Japanese culture, so when I saw this collection I bought two packs because I knew I would use it for some layout of her, or of us in the Japanese pavilion at Epcot. Also, I used some papers from Dear Lizzy She's Magic.

This is the left side layout. I didn't embellish the layout a lot because I wanted the photos to be seen and be the focus. It's a simple and clean layout that showcases two 3" x 4" photos and one 4" x 6".


This is the right side layout, showcasing three more photos, one 4" x 6" and two 4" x 3".


To help the title stands out, I decided to maintain the sketch design with a tag. Since the upper patterned paper was very busy and the fonts would not be seen there without it. The tag was made using a piece of paper from Dear Lizzy She's Magic collection. The "sweet" word was made using American Crafts Thickers Count the Ways. They are in glittery foam, and are so pretty! For the 15, I used a very, very old, Crate Paper chipboard alpha I had. It was a pale orange, so I transformed them to gold using Forlk Art acrylic paint. I added a piece of ribbon and crochet thread to the tag to embellish it. I like how the bow helps the tags looks better.


To help the photos stand out, I matted them in white cardstock. Then added pink cardstock to the ones in the left side and a bit of fuchsia paper from She's Magic to add the color from the photos that was not part of the Photoplay kit. Those photos were adhered to the layout using craft foam to pop them up a bit. I love to have some layers in my projects.

For the photos on the right side, I used a blue cardstock, added a tiny stripe of pink and then a 1/4" stripe of the fuchsia paper. I made this just to help the photos be balanced in the layout. To create the brown scalloped border I used a Stampin' Up paper punch. I don't know if they still sell it, but I love mine. I use it frequently because is perfect for any kind of project or theme.


Then, I proceeded to embellish the layout in three areas, following the rule of thirds. I used the stickers from the collection, some are just cardstock and others are layered cardstock with some glitter. They are very cute! In the title area, I added a cut doll, some layered flowers and the umbrella to enhance the title a little. They were adhered using craft foam, to add dimension to the page.


Then, I added those balls to resemble the ball in the decoration (shown in the photos). I used a piece of cord to hang them from the edge of the layout and adhered them using craft foam. The doll is a layered sticker, super cute with the details in her hair and the fan.


Then, I added this label and the third doll to the page, in between the photos. They have craft foam in the back. I love adding a bit of dimension just by using foam behind some embellishments and/or photos. I don't like having a one layer layout.


For the journaling, I used a Dear Lizzy She's Magic card from the die cut pack and a brown pen from Micron. In the border I used an EK Success punch to give it the look of a notebook paper, as in the sketch.

Thanks for staying with me, hope you like this layout and it inspires you to create!




No comments